-

-

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Check out this Blogger ~ Deanna from Miles to Run

I have been following Deanna's journey from Miles to Run for sometime now. She's another Wisconsin runner/blogger and we've yet to connect at a local race .... but will someday SOON!!! (Right, Deanna?!?!) She's a fellow treadmill runner and we can totally relate to the tough Wisconsin winters!! She also LOVES the half marathon distance and handheld water bottles ... surely a gal after my heart!!

First Name: Deanna

State: Wisconsin

Blog:
http://milestorun.blogspot.com


How long have you been following Running Diva Mom, and why do you read? I have been following RDM for quite a while. Jamie's blog is one of the first ones I started following when I first discovered the world of running blogs (I can't believe I didn't know about the blog world sooner!). I was searching online for other runners in Wisconsin and came across her blog. I have been a faithful follower for many reasons. Jamie and I both live in WI so we can relate to our ever-changing weather and many snowstorms, and we both have children. With those two combinations alone, the treadmill is a major piece of our training equipment. I also like Jamie's blog because she is "real." She has good runs and bad runs and isn't afraid to be honest about them. In many ways she is doing exactly what a lot of us are doing...staying fit, staying sane, raising kids, and trying to balance it all.


How many miles do you run on the average month? I would say I average about 70-80 miles. Running is my favorite form of exercise, but running alone doesn't work for me. If I incorporate high intensity intervals like Tabata, and/or strength moves like body weight exercises, I see the most results from my body. I also like to limit my workout time to an hour if my kids are home. Weekends are for my long runs where time isn't a factor. But...next fall I will have all three of my kids in school...oh, just think of the many hours of running I could do then?!

Favorite distance: My favorite race distance is the half marathon. I have run 5 to date. It's a nice distance because it doesn't take a ton of time to train for, yet it's challenging enough that by the last 3 miles I just want to be done. When you think about it, 13.1 miles is a long way to run.

5K's are way too fast for me and I end up having a lot of negative self-talk as people are passing me. I am just not built for speed; but I still run them from time to time. I like 10K's as training runs for a half marathons, but there aren't too many 10K's offered in my area.

I have never run a full marathon and I do not have any desire to run one. I don't know if that will ever change, but once my long runs get close to 2 hours I get burnt out. I can't imagine doing 15-22 mile long runs. Ugh.

Overall, I love racing because of the energy you feel from being in crowds of like-minded men and women all passionate about running. Oh, and the feeling of crossing the finish line!


Running gear/item you can't train without: Well, being that I've been home-bound for the Wisconsin winter months my major item is my treadmill. In the midst of my winter running I had to buy a new treadmill and I love it so much. It definitely makes me faster. ;)

As far as other gear, I started running in 2008 and I still consider myself "new" to running. I am constantly finding new items to help me when I am running outside. Who would have thought that sunglasses with a rubber nose piece would be one of the most life-changing things in my running?! I also experimented with carrying water and learned that I did not like carrying water around my waist. I landed on the Nathan Sprint handheld water bottle. Before my water bottle, I planned all my runs around the city parks where there were water fountains. The Nathan Sprint paved the way for all new running routes.


What is your favorite running memory? By far, my favorite running memories are the ones when I'm running with my friend Sarah. She and I have been friends since 1st grade, and when we get together we have the best time. I was lucky enough to run with her for her first half marathon in 2009. I was so proud of her. It was so nice to have someone right alongside me the entire race and cross the finish line together. And even better is when we relive the experience and can laugh about how tough the last three miles were.

My "not so favorite" running memory was during one of my dreaded 5K races. It was summer, and hot. I started out way too fast and by the end I was dying. I gave everything I had and resorted to a run/walk to the end. There was no "method" to my madness, I just ran when I could and then walked until I could run again. Anyway, at one point an older woman (fellow runner) ran up to me and said in a very concerned voice, "Are you OK?" Ugh. Did I really look as bad as I felt?! I'm not proud of it by any means, but that terrible race gave me my 5K PR. Did I mention I do not like this distance?


Post run indulgence: I love to eat. I know a lot of people say that, but I honestly do. And I love to eat pizza...lots of it. I don't even know what "in moderation" means when it comes to pizza. So when I run a long run, later that night you know we are going to be ordering pizzas.

Advice for the new runners out there: My advice would be to reward yourself. Each week, when you hit a new milestone, reward yourself. When I first started running, this was such a motivation for me. When I finally hit 3 miles of running non-stop I treated myself to a pedicure. Even promising yourself that if you get this long run done you can spend the rest of the day camped out on the couch in sweats is a reward worth running for.

6 comments:

  1. What a great spotlight! On my way to check out her blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview with Deanna! I have been following her blog and I appreciate her positive point of view on running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview...I love that you're comfortable with the half marathon distance and aren't worried that you have to go and do a full marathon to feel complete...Of course, I said that once upon a time to :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for both of you during the winter months since I live just south of the Wisconsin border. I have run a few races in Wisconsin, mostly Madison. I, too, love to eat and that is mainly why I run....well, sort of. I do love to run too. My favorite distance has to be the half, but I don't get to do them often enough. 5K's are just so easy to pick up, but they hurt so much more! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in Michigan so can relate to the winters a lot. I just stumbled across your blog, but will have to check out Deanna's as well. I can relate in so many ways. Hate the 5K distance, prefer the longer races. In fact her finishing time is about the same as mine too. Adding you to my blog feed.

    ReplyDelete