-

-

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Somewhere in the middle

When I started running nine years ago, I never knew where my size ten running shoes would take me.  I thought a couple of 5Ks, maybe a half.  But, I never imagined that I would be a seven time marathoner, completed more than 45 half marathons and am now coaching hundreds of others in my community to complete their first 5K. 
 
I think when people hear that I am a marathon runner and now a running coach (ahem!), that everyone automatically thinks I am fast - or am supposed to be fast.  I am not.  I am an average person.  I am an average runner.  I run an average pace.  But, I don't run an average race.  Every race course is a journey and a new experience for me.  I'm a runner with a big heart and a lot of determination.  I think that most of us in the middle of the pack would agree.
 
 
I never win races, nor do I aspire to do so.  I rarely win an age group award at a small local race.  I'm somewhere in the top 30-40% of most races I complete.  Sometimes further ahead.  Sometimes further behind.  Just like everyone, it depends on the day.
 
I run on a consistent basis.  But, I don't train on a consistent basis.  Make sense?  When I was introduced to running I never had an exercise routine under my belt.  Running has changed that for me and led me to knew activities too.  It's been an extreme constant in my life and for that I am grateful.
 
 
I like being a middle-of-the-packer.  I've met some of the most fabulous people out on the race course - smack dab in the middle of a race.  Feeling confident one minute and then struggling the next, pushing each other to get up another hill or around the corner to the finish line. 
 
 
It's not my speed that makes me a great runner.  It's my commitment and determination.  I'm not out there to win.  I'm out there to finish.  I run in the middle of the pack.
 
Run your race.  Run your pace.
 

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I too am somewhere in the middle!! ... well now coming back from injury I'm in the back lol ;) BUT I know I'll get back to where I was! Slowly but surely!!

    ReplyDelete