-

-

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Ice Bath Tips

I recently experienced my very first ice bath.  I had heard about the benefits of icing ever since I attempted my first marathon back in 2008, but I never made it a part of my routine.  My husband raved about his ice bath earlier in the month, so I wanted to give it a try.

After a twenty mile training run recently, I resolved to give it a try and cool down in the tub.  I actually enjoyed it, and my legs weren't the least bit sore the next day.  I can’t say that about earlier long runs in my training cycle.  Usually I have some difficulty walking downstairs or have trouble standing up after sitting for long periods of rest.


The first minute was the most difficult.  The remaining nine were pretty easy – dare I say enjoyable??!!

Tips for a successful ice bath:
  • Do your stretching before you complete your ice bath - you will be less sore later
  • Get in the bath tub before you drop the ice into the water
  • Drop the ice in slowly – you can always add more
  • Use a warm, fluffy towel to rest your back and neck on
  • Sip on hot chocolate (using chocolate milk for refueling!) or your favorite hot tea or coffee to warm you up
  • Bring a book, magazine or your favorite device for reading/surfing the web to pass time - just be careful!
  • Set a timer – sit in the ice bath for 10-15 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Embarking on my maiden voyage into the world of polar ice bath has been a revelation, and I can't help but share the incredible experience. Despite hearing about the benefits for years, it took my husband's enthusiastic endorsement to finally take the plunge, literally.

    ReplyDelete