-

-

Friday, January 30, 2015

Book #3 of 2015 - Running Like a Girl: Notes on Learning to Run by Alexandra Heminsley

This non-reader actually enjoyed a nightly reading session in 2014.  After being challenged by my daughter to read a Fault in Our Stars with her, followed by a viewing of the movie, I became hooked.  I read seven books from July-December in 2014 and am looking forward to reading twelve books in 2015.  I'm enjoying sharing my daughter's passion and carving out a different kind of "me time" after my workouts are complete.  Running has relaxed me and is also helping me sleep better.



Book #3 completed in 2015:

I accidentally discovered this book while the kids and I were at our local library last month.  It was displayed in a selection of new books at the library.  I saw it and immediately placed it in my library bag for my next read.  This was an easy read and I really enjoyed every minute of it.  the first part of the book describes Alexandra's experiences as a new runner to completing several marathons.  The second part answers many questions you may have about running and the lifestyle of running that new runners may have, but are too afraid to ask.  I identified with much of the book, as I didn't start running until my mid-20's and never thought that I could put one foot in front of the other to run around the block - let alone run marathons.  The funny experiences Alexandra experienced - getting fit for real running shoes, finding the perfect sports bra, overcoming fatigue and crazy thoughts during a race were all enjoyable to read.  In this book, she also touches on the support of loved ones and the misunderstanding of others as you follow your own journey through a healthy lifestyle such as running.  Every seasoned runner or new runner will enjoy this book and I highly recommend to all of my female couch to 5K clients.  

Do you have a favorite book that I should be added to my reading list for 2015?

1 comment:

  1. Loved that book! One of my favorites is Wild - Cheryl Strayed.

    ReplyDelete