-

-

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

20 miles - this never gets old!

Sunday was BEAUTIFUL!  And with beautiful weather, comes memorable runs!!  This kids were on a date with their aunt, so my husband and I opted to run about 15-18 miles around town.  We left the house once the kids departed and did some looping through neighborhoods. 
 
The temperatures quickly got higher than expected and I was going through water like crazy.  We stopped three times to use the restroom and fill up our water bottles.  I always love the gas station over near Buck n Honey's in Sun Prairie, because they always let me fill up with ice from the soda fountain.  It really helps cool me down.  I was grateful that I decided to wear my hair up and no Bondi Band, as I could feel the sun beating down on my face and forehead. 
 
The battery on my watch was super low at the start (darn it!).  The battery was dying for the first several miles, but it somehow lasted until mile 11.  After that, we just used my husband's watch and found it mentally refreshing not to be looking at my mileage and time every 2-3 minutes.
 
 
At mile sixteen, we arrived back home.  I could tell that my husband wanted to be done, but I urged him to go back out for an even twenty.  We enjoyed some Powerade Zero.  He had some pretzels and I enjoyed a couple of small oranges.  It was just what we needed to get another burst of energy.  We agreed to head out on a path along the highway that was approximately 2 miles out and back - and to take it slow.  I quickly changed into a tank top, as my technical tee was soaked and my shoulders were warm.  I felt so much better after I changed and we headed back out.  We took eat easy and ran separately on this less than desirable out-and-back loop.  But, we did it.
 
We arrived back home, clocking in over 3:32 and twenty miles.  It was a really slow - but smart - afternoon of running.  After all, we didn't start our run until 11:30 am and ran through that warmest part of the day.  We rested, fueled, hydrated and ran at a slow and consistent pace.
 
Running double digit miles never gets old.  Running double digit miles - with a TWO in front of it - will always, always, always still amaze me.  I still can't believe that my feet are able to do that.  That my legs are able to do that.  That my body is able to do that. That my mind is able to do that.  That I am able to do that.  It's an amazing accomplishment that YOU are choosing to do.  And you are choosing to do for yourself.   No one is making you do it.  And no one can do it for you.
 
20 miles - this never gets old!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment